Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Newbie question about SQL 2000 backup

I have my SQL 2000 server running on W2003 Server
Logged in as domain admin
I want to do a manual backup of my database
So I follow the Microsoft document
Open Enterprise Manager, right click the database, all tasks, backeup
database, select full backup, add destination (I choose the default file
location C:\ ProgramdFiles\SQL Servere etc. - as I don't have a backup
device)
I get a warning 'the filename specified is recognised as a directory name.
The file won't be able to be rewritten. Do you wish to continue?'
I select OK
I then get an error '(ODBC SQLState 42000) Cannot open the backup device
C:\Program Files\etc.' Device error or device offline. See the SQL server lo
g
for more details'
The eventlog error is '17055' Source' MSSQLServer' '3041 :
BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [DATASTORE] TO DI
SK =
N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP' WITH NOINIT ,
NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'DATASTORE backup', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT '
Any ideas anyone please !?!why wouldn't you specify full file name (for example : C:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\DATASTORE.BAK ) ?
"goundhog" <goundhog@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2B0D39F7-0324-4C8C-B22B-0F70BDD8E530@.microsoft.com...
>I have my SQL 2000 server running on W2003 Server
> Logged in as domain admin
> I want to do a manual backup of my database
> So I follow the Microsoft document
> Open Enterprise Manager, right click the database, all tasks, backeup
> database, select full backup, add destination (I choose the default file
> location C:\ ProgramdFiles\SQL Servere etc. - as I don't have a backup
> device)
> I get a warning 'the filename specified is recognised as a directory name.
> The file won't be able to be rewritten. Do you wish to continue?'
> I select OK
> I then get an error '(ODBC SQLState 42000) Cannot open the backup device
> C:\Program Files\etc.' Device error or device offline. See the SQL server
> log
> for more details'
> The eventlog error is '17055' Source' MSSQLServer' '3041 :
> BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP DATABASE [DATASTORE] TO
DISK
> =
> N'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\BACKUP' WITH NOINIT ,
> NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'DATASTORE backup', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, NOFORMAT '
>
> Any ideas anyone please !?!
>

No comments:

Post a Comment