Friday, March 30, 2012

Newbie question on meaning of icon...

Hi! I have "inherited" a SQL server that I am quickly trying to get up to
speed on administering. There are several db's on the server. If I look at
the db's in enterprise manager one of them has what looks to be a "shared"
icon beside the db name. It looks just like the other db icons but has that
"share" hand underneath. What does this symbolize and how do I make
adjustments to this setting.
Sorry for being so obtuse! Thanks for the help!
-alex-The 'sharing' hand means the database has been enabled for replication.
First, you read BOL (Books On-Line) and understand what replication is and
hw it works before you make any adjustments.
IMHO, your first concern should be backup and recovery. Next comes
space/performance management and monitoring. Last comes changes and
improvements.
--
Geoff N. Hiten
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
Senior Database Administrator
Careerbuilder.com
I support the Professional Association for SQL Server
www.sqlpass.org
"bairda" <bairda@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:F5139783-2191-442A-9584-04C743848493@.microsoft.com...
> Hi! I have "inherited" a SQL server that I am quickly trying to get up to
> speed on administering. There are several db's on the server. If I look
at
> the db's in enterprise manager one of them has what looks to be a "shared"
> icon beside the db name. It looks just like the other db icons but has
that
> "share" hand underneath. What does this symbolize and how do I make
> adjustments to this setting.
> Sorry for being so obtuse! Thanks for the help!
> -alex-

No comments:

Post a Comment