Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Newbie Question - Table only Backup

I may be missing something... but I simply want to backup a single table from my DB inorder to export it to another server (via FTP)... is there a way to do this specifically in MS SQL 7 ' I want to save the backup on my desktop, for instance... and not into another DB on the server... am I clear or missing something..
Thanks !!Put the table on a different filegroup, since you can back up filegroups
separately. You can't back up tables separately.
--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/
"Joe Mizrahi" <mizrahij@.finance.nyc.gov> wrote in message
news:00470D0D-6DC6-4A59-AEF9-80FAE5EA26A2@.microsoft.com...
> I may be missing something... but I simply want to backup a single table
from my DB inorder to export it to another server (via FTP)... is there a
way to do this specifically in MS SQL 7 ' I want to save the backup on my
desktop, for instance... and not into another DB on the server... am I clear
or missing something...
> Thanks !!|||Note that such a backup is possibly unusable for Joe's scenario. When
restoring an FG backup you have to do that into the same database from where
you took the backup and also apply all log backups taken since, up to
current point in time.
Joe,
another option is to export he data in the table, using such tools as BCP,
DTS etc.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <aaron@.TRASHaspfaq.com> wrote in message
news:eIhT5OpvDHA.2408@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Put the table on a different filegroup, since you can back up filegroups
> separately. You can't back up tables separately.
> --
> Aaron Bertrand
> SQL Server MVP
> http://www.aspfaq.com/
>
>
> "Joe Mizrahi" <mizrahij@.finance.nyc.gov> wrote in message
> news:00470D0D-6DC6-4A59-AEF9-80FAE5EA26A2@.microsoft.com...
> > I may be missing something... but I simply want to backup a single table
> from my DB inorder to export it to another server (via FTP)... is there a
> way to do this specifically in MS SQL 7 ' I want to save the backup on my
> desktop, for instance... and not into another DB on the server... am I
clear
> or missing something...
> > Thanks !!
>|||Ah, that's a good point. Yes, you could DTS the table to another database,
and backup from there. Or keep the table in its own separate database
permanently, I suppose.
--
Aaron Bertrand
SQL Server MVP
http://www.aspfaq.com/
"Tibor Karaszi" <tibor.please_reply_to_public_forum.karaszi@.cornerstone.se>
wrote in message news:eCdyUSpvDHA.1512@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Note that such a backup is possibly unusable for Joe's scenario. When
> restoring an FG backup you have to do that into the same database from
where
> you took the backup and also apply all log backups taken since, up to
> current point in time.
> Joe,
> another option is to export he data in the table, using such tools as BCP,
> DTS etc.
> --
> Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
> Archive at:
>
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
>
> "Aaron Bertrand - MVP" <aaron@.TRASHaspfaq.com> wrote in message
> news:eIhT5OpvDHA.2408@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Put the table on a different filegroup, since you can back up filegroups
> > separately. You can't back up tables separately.
> >
> > --
> > Aaron Bertrand
> > SQL Server MVP
> > http://www.aspfaq.com/
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Joe Mizrahi" <mizrahij@.finance.nyc.gov> wrote in message
> > news:00470D0D-6DC6-4A59-AEF9-80FAE5EA26A2@.microsoft.com...
> > > I may be missing something... but I simply want to backup a single
table
> > from my DB inorder to export it to another server (via FTP)... is there
a
> > way to do this specifically in MS SQL 7 ' I want to save the backup on
my
> > desktop, for instance... and not into another DB on the server... am I
> clear
> > or missing something...
> > > Thanks !!
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment